When you frequent an Italian Restaurant Dublin way you will find a whole array of pasta dishes available to you. The world of pasta is an old and delicious one and here are a few facts about the Italian ingredient that everyone loves.
- Pasta has been noted as far back as 1154 where it was referenced in a cooking book.
- It can be found in two varieties – dry or fresh and is usually made from durum wheat flour, although gluten free versions have been made over recent years.
- There are thought to be over 600 different types of pasta, which is an incredible amount, with the most popular ones being spaghetti, penne and macaroni. This goes well with the notation that the top three pasta dishes are macaroni cheese, spaghetti bolognese and lasagne.
- Pasta can be used in a variety of ways including mixed with a sauce or a condiment of some kind such as olive oil, mixed into a soup or a stew and baked.
- Have you ever poured pasta into a pan with hot water and come back a few minutes later to an overflowing pot? This is because dried pasta can actually double in size whilst it cooks.
- It is thought that Italy produces over 1,400,000 tons of pasta every year with each Italian eating around 60 pounds each per year